Biochemistry of how liver metabolises glucose vs ethanol vs fructose starts at about 42mins.
"... This creates a strong financial incentive for doctors to lower the cholesterol levels of certain patients..."
A 2 page summary of why we should be asking questions about the NHS and statins.
Main website: http://www.statinnation.net/
Documentary film due Sep 2012.
Cholesterol reduction (assumed to be a good thing) is indicated for secondary prevention, but no evidence that those without existing conditions would benefit from taking statins.
Another good summary from someone who researched the real science including:
- how we've known what to eat and how to fix obesity for 150 years
- the science for and against and how the US and presumably the UK were misled
- a personal history of the lecturer's weight loss and blood lipids improvements
- the history of how we got here and the influence of food and drug companies
- how arteries really get blocked (last 5 minutes)